Skip to main content

Chapter One - Mother's Worries

Chapter One

THE DAY MY LIFE CHANGED DIRECTION

 After my third child was born he never made a sound; the nurses and the other moms on the ward commented how good he was to sleep the whole night through. I just thought I’d been given reprieve, due to my first child being still born and my second coming out and continued for much of his life screaming and crying, whereas Charles always had to be woken up for feeds. It was when he was approaching his third birthday that I became concerned about him.

His - speech or in his case, - lack of it was definitely beyond most three-year-olds. He would use grunting sounds to get my attention, or use words like “ju, ju” for juice while thrusting his cup in my hand, or “bye” whether you were coming or going, but that was about it.

He was a ‘late walker’ but once started he began racing from room to room; from toy to toy; and making loud excitable noises whilst removing any clothes I had just put on him.

The baby clinic I took him to put us in touch with a speech therapist, but the therapy didn’t last many weeks, so we just put it down to him being a slow learner.

Each day became a battle; if we were going out I would have a major job on my hands getting Charles ready. As usual he always had other ideas and would do anything to avoid getting dressed. While I’d try and lift him off the table and prize his fingers from the wall lights he would be grabbing again with his other hand. By the time I’d got his first hand free the next was in place. Everything was a game to him.      
        
I thought that once he started at Playgroup, mixing with other children, things
would be okay. It didn’t quite work out that way, though.

Staff at the Playgroup questioned his lack of speech and co-ordination and asked
whether he was deaf or autistic. They were concerned about his behaviour. I had days of negative feedback about how he was not listening, pushing every other child out of the way in his enthusiasm to get to the toys first, and pulling the classroom blinds down.

I suppose they were doing their best, Charles had taken them by surprise; they didn’t know why he was behaving like he was, with no communication, and he had even less knowledge what the teachers were talking about. I think it was the Nativity play that finally broke the camel’s back, excuse the pun. Well, how was Charles supposed to know that running off with baby Jesus would upset so many people? Between him and another child trying to rescue the doll they managed to rip off one of the arms (the doll‘s that is!). The gasp from the audience was unbelievable and all in unison. They looked at me in utter disgust.

So it wasn’t surprising that they reduced his hours from three and half hours to one
hour daily. That’s when I knew he’d never stand a chance of going full time in a mainstream school; they were seeing him as a problem child. I felt such an outcast and so alone. I sat and sobbed and in complete desperation rang our health visitor and asked for help.
   
The local hospital sent two clinical coordinators to assess him and within twenty minutes of observing Charles they agreed there were some characteristic signs of autism. The shock sent a sudden jolt of fear through my body. I began to feel nauseous. The room spun with the word autism. I felt my throat tighten, stopping me from speaking. My world was crumbling right there in front of me and there wasn’t a damn thing I could do about it. They continued to talk, but I could only see their mouths moving. I stared over and watched Charles lining up his cars on the window sill. Questions filled my mind. Why? How? Would he ever marry, drive, lead an independent life?  There were no answers!

We spent the next three months attending the hospital for an assessment.

His running off became worse, he would try and do a runner every time he heard the front door of the house open. Even windows were locked for his own safety. His sense of danger was non-existent and from a very early age he had to be led round by toddler reins and later a wrist safety strap.

I gave up work to be with him. I couldn’t face someone else taking care of him; I knew he needed me and I had to be there for him.  

At the time I only told my immediate family (husband and sister). My mom and dad had long passed away and the rest of the family were getting on in years, so I thought it best not to tell them. My logic was they couldn’t help anyway, so I didn’t see the point in upsetting them. Maybe I felt I had failed as a mother, let everyone down! I’m not really sure. Anyway, the rest of my days went in a blur of battles with the authorities over entitlements, hospital
appointments, speech therapists, form filling and sorting out an appropriate school.

I was now thinking of a special school for my son. It was a hard decision but I wanted to give him the best possible start in life and that’s where this life changing event begins.
 


Comments

Adelaide Dupont said…
The blinds are often very fascinating and fearful experiences - whether it's because of the light or the straight lines or their unpredictability.

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter Two - Infants/Junior School

Chapter Two INFANTS/JUNIOR SCHOOL  I was on tenterhooks while waiting for a decision from the local authorities as to whether Charles would be able to have a place at The Pines, school. The news came on the last day of term and to hear he had been accepted into a special school was such a relief. I’d been to visit the school and felt it would be the best thing for Charles. I didn’t even have to get him there myself; it was arranged he would be picked up and dropped off by mini bus to and from school on a daily basis. What more could I ask! At least now I wouldn’t have to worry about him trying to escape from the car! This first report from The Pines describes Charles well: ‘Charles has significant difficulties with expressive and receptive language, age appropriate learning skills, interpersonal, listening and attention skills. Charles is an impulsive child who finds it difficult to listen to adult instructions and process what is being asked of him. He also has difficulty i

Happy Card

HAPPY CARD Charles made a card for me and said that it was called a happy card. On the front were the words, ‘I love you mommy,’ and on the back there were several empty lines where he said I could write down what was making me sad. Then when I had finished I could give the happy card  back to him and then he’d give me a big hug and all my worries would be gone. J

2017 New beginning.

This book covers my journey as the mother of an autistic child from pre-diagnosis, through infant, junior and senior school, culminating with her son taking his GCSE exams and progressing onto university, with examples and anecdotes. It shares the journey we took from my child not speaking until he was 5 and a half years to a gregarious 18-year-old who enjoys performing on stage, rock climbing, camping and canoeing. His positive attitude, embracing of life and him fulfilling his potential will bring a source of inspiration to those making a similar journey. The book seeks to cover the emotions, the fear and devastation felt from the diagnosis, progressing through the almost overwhelming obstacles, to the joy at each achievement, helping us to become the people we are now.