Skip to main content

Chapter Seven - Senior School

Chapter seven

SENIOR SCHOOL

When Charles was leaving primary school I was given two appropriate schools to look at. The first one I didn’t like the look of and the second, even though it was well suited it would have been a round trip of over two hundred miles a week traveling for him, so I decided against it. I wanted him to be able to get to know the people and area where we lived as we had only been here twelve months. So at the last minute I looked at our local schools and my instincts lead me to a school less than a mile away from our house. They did cater for autism but not on a large scale. Well, I looked round, spoke to the staff, got outside help and decided to give it a go.
This is a letter I sent to his head teacher at his primary school just six months later!
29th November 2010
Dear Mr Tuft
I know it’s been a while but we did talk briefly about me letting you know about Charles’s transition, so here it is. 
Things started off okay and I was under no illusion that there might be a few blips until people got to know Charles, but the list is starting to build.
The school and I are still trying to get support for Charles’s independence in walking to and from school. Apparently we live to close to the school to get help. I don’t know how that has anything to do with his vulnerability but there you go! We’re going to try a different company now because Charles really wants to walk to school on his own. When I pick him up at the end of the school day I get him later than everyone else from the study centre so we all know where he is, or at least should be. Charles seems frustrated by this and says he doesn’t want to be autistic anymore.
1) He’s had detention for talking.
2) When a routine changed he got frustrated and began pulling at his classroom door because it wouldn’t open. Then when another child tried to intervene he got her round the neck in a strangle hold; that didn’t go down well! It’s a form of attack so he was excluded for the day; they called it a cooling off day.
3) He wasn’t listening in PE so again another child got involved and started shouting at him to get behind the line and according to his teacher Charles grabbed at the child and scratched a five-inch scratch all down his wrist and arm. Charles’s version of this story seemed one-sided (and it wasn’t in his favour). The mom of the other child said she had to go to take her son to the doctor’s for a tetanus jab. Charles is now missing two PE lessons and having to be involved in a course called A 5 is against the law (which I will explain later),for the consequences of touching other people. They said it’s serious. The communication team are also involved and keep attending the school.  They’re making him out to be some kind of monster.
I know hormones don’t help and at his age they do try and push the boundaries but it feels harder than it’s ever done.  Even though everyone is doing their best I’m not sure if I’ve made the right choice, only time will tell. I will keep you informed if you like, thanks.
Which leads me on to why I started picking Charles up from the study centre later than everyone else at school.
Within the first week of Charles attending his new senior school there was a heart- stopping moment. One home time, in his eagerness to impress me and to the horror of his classroom assistant, Charles came rushing out ahead of her and through the wrong entrance! I was waiting by the gate waving at his assistant and she was asking me whether he’d passed me!
Thankfully, Charles soon realised he was on his own and rushed back into school. After the initial scare and we had all grouped up he said that he was excited and just wanted to be like all the other children!
From that day onwards the school decided that at 3.15 everyday Charles was to go straight to the study centre and from there I would pick him up in the car ten minutes later than all the other children coming out of the school. This made such a difference for Charles’ safety and my nerves.
During the first couple of months I approached the Education transport to see whether I could have a walking guide for Charles, as I felt I needed support and guidance for him, but was refused on the grounds of us living within two miles of the school and with all the cuts it wouldn’t be until his 16th birthday now.
As Charles passed his thirteenth birthday he wanted more independence and I was feeling quite worried on how to approach the situation. I didn’t want him to take it into his own head to get himself home. I felt there might have been a strong possibility of him doing just that, and the school agreed with me. So again I asked the Special Educational Needs Co coordinator from my son’s school for help and we got together to see how we could move forward. I found the school very helpful in understanding what being independent really meant to us, because even though Charles and I wanted him to walk to school, there was a lot more to it than that.  
I was asked to consider where else in Charles’s life he was given trust and responsibility.  Would Charles actually understand the responsibility of his wish? What had he done so far?          
This I gave a lot of thought to and was advised to write a list of all the things that I had let my other son do at this age (he was not on the spectrum), but from that I could compare and adjust it to Charles.
From this I organized a plan of action and then explained to Charles about introducing one idea at a time and proceeding from there. I explained that this builds trust and by us working together would give him the freedom he desired.  He seemed happy with the idea. 
Below is the list we started with. When I felt we were ready to move on we would take his travel training and independence further.
1) The first task was for Charles to start using his mobile phone correctly and responsibly. That meant checking his credit and the battery often and understanding that around school it had to be on silent.
2) When he goes to the study centre at the end of the day he puts his phone on and contacts me by ringing, not texting, to pick him up when he’s ready to be collected.
3) In the mornings I would only drive part of the way to school as there were no roads to cross at this point. He would only have to be aware of cars pulling in and out of drive ways. It took him about 7 minutes to walk it, with me watching in the car from a distance.
4) Right outside the school there was a zebra crossing which we began using from time to time for him to get used to. Then we progressed to crossing roads on a more regular basis in our area.
5) He then walked to and from our local post box and shop, which is only a stone’s throw from our house.
6) Going into the shop was a little different. My husband would drive down to the shop ahead of my son without him knowing and hide the van. Meanwhile I would wave Charles off at the house. Charles would quite happily start to walk towards the shop, oblivious of us watching him. We had to show him trust but also make sure he was safe, and it was the only way we knew how to do it. When he got so far I would start to follow, speaking to my husband on the mobile. For example, I would say: ‘Can you see him yet?’
His dad would say: ‘Affirmative, he’s just going into the shop now.’
‘Okay let me know when he comes out and I will start walking back home.’
Then the next message, ‘The chicken has left the coup, the chicken has left the coup!’ (Which meant Charles had left the shop with the goods and was on his way home). If only people knew what extremes we went to.  These strategies worked for us, though, and we felt better doing it one step at a time. Yes we knew there was a long way to go, buses, trains, etc, but at least this list put things into perspective for us. I felt much more hopeful and felt I had goals in place for both of us.

Now at the age of 15, he can walk and skip to and from school on his own and is getting familiar with the area where we live. He is even recognising the correct number buses to and from Birmingham. 
I hope these small steps can help you and I will bring you up to date with his progress at the  end of the book. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter Two - Infants/Junior School

Chapter Two INFANTS/JUNIOR SCHOOL  I was on tenterhooks while waiting for a decision from the local authorities as to whether Charles would be able to have a place at The Pines, school. The news came on the last day of term and to hear he had been accepted into a special school was such a relief. I’d been to visit the school and felt it would be the best thing for Charles. I didn’t even have to get him there myself; it was arranged he would be picked up and dropped off by mini bus to and from school on a daily basis. What more could I ask! At least now I wouldn’t have to worry about him trying to escape from the car! This first report from The Pines describes Charles well: ‘Charles has significant difficulties with expressive and receptive language, age appropriate learning skills, interpersonal, listening and attention skills. Charles is an impulsive child who finds it difficult to listen to adult instructions and process what is being asked of him. He also has difficulty i

Happy Card

HAPPY CARD Charles made a card for me and said that it was called a happy card. On the front were the words, ‘I love you mommy,’ and on the back there were several empty lines where he said I could write down what was making me sad. Then when I had finished I could give the happy card  back to him and then he’d give me a big hug and all my worries would be gone. J

2017 New beginning.

This book covers my journey as the mother of an autistic child from pre-diagnosis, through infant, junior and senior school, culminating with her son taking his GCSE exams and progressing onto university, with examples and anecdotes. It shares the journey we took from my child not speaking until he was 5 and a half years to a gregarious 18-year-old who enjoys performing on stage, rock climbing, camping and canoeing. His positive attitude, embracing of life and him fulfilling his potential will bring a source of inspiration to those making a similar journey. The book seeks to cover the emotions, the fear and devastation felt from the diagnosis, progressing through the almost overwhelming obstacles, to the joy at each achievement, helping us to become the people we are now.