Skip to main content

Chapter nine - Becoming a Prefect

Chapter nine

Becoming a Prefect

25th July 2014

One evening after school Charles rang me all excited and told me he had just been accepted to be a prefect at school. I didn’t even know he had applied for the position! It involved helping out after school, showing parents round for new intakes and helping with charity events at the school. I was delighted. He then went on to talk about the next term in September when the school was going to be taking students out of school for PE to our local leisure centre to play games of their choice. Once the lesson had finished pupils would be making their own way home. That bit worried me a little as he wasn’t used to the roads yet and as the journey was over a mile away I would have to make sure he would be safe. I didn’t comment about it at that point as he was excited. I just said, ‘That’s fantastic, son, come to the car and we can talk all about your news.’
He swung open the car door, threw his bag on the back seat and continued, ‘Oh and there’s more, Mom! A girl has just asked me for a kiss, so I obliged her. Then as she walked away she told me she loved me! What do you think I should do now?’ I must admit it was all rather a lot for me to take in. I spurted a little and then laughed, ’Wow, you have been busy!’
I congratulated him on becoming a prefect and was thrilled when he said he had even written a letter to apply. That I wanted to see! I was really happy for him.
I felt PE would be fine as long as I could have a meeting with the school to put some procedures in place. Charles said a friend would walk with him but I needed more reassurance than that, and I knew the risk would be too great as Charles still struggled with concentration when crossing roads. But I didn’t want to burst his bubble. I just thought I would sort it out with the school and hopefully over the holidays we could practise the route together.
Charles broke my thoughts. ‘What about the girl, Mom?’
I must admit alarms bells went off in my head about this news because he had never mentioned any one at school before. Instantly I was wondering if she was playing with him. I asked him if he knew her well, because to give someone a kiss and then walk away saying you loved them was rather a fast courtship in anyone’s book.
I said maybe he should consider just staying friends with her for now and that he could say that he was flattered by her interest but he wanted to concentrate on his exams at the moment. I said that he probably shouldn’t kiss her again and certainly not when there’s no one else around. All sorts of things were going through my head. I was worried for him and was trying my best to explain the implications of things. Charles thought for a moment and then said, ‘She is nice, Mom, and I think she’s under the disability umbrella as well.’
My thoughts were confirmed. I kept it to myself but thought I would have a quiet word with his classroom assistant in the morning to keep an eye out.
Charles was worried that all this news in one go would worry me. Bless him. I repeated that I only wanted the best for him and it’s exciting because he was gaining more independence and freedom. I told him, ‘You don’t want to spend the rest of your life tried to my apron strings, do you?’
‘Nooo,’ he said thoughtfully, trying to work out what I had just actually said. ‘Thanks, Mom. I am excited. I feel free and I love you.’
We hugged. ‘I love you too.’
I loved our little talks in the car on the way home because it seemed to be the only time I could get his full attention. Once home the computer, telly and food distracted him.
The school agreed that until I practised walking with Charles over the holidays and got him more familiar with the roads they would arrange school transport for Charles to get him there until it was safe to do otherwise. Then at the end of the PE lesson I would have to go and collect him. Charles was happy with the decision because it was put across as an adventure with his PE teacher in his car and other children would also get a chance to go with him so he didn’t feel singled out. We just needed a little more time to make sure Charles would be safe as the teacher was not there to supervise the children as they walked the one and half miles back through a busy town centre. I was relieved.
Even though Charles had been walking to school and back I think sometimes fate had a little helping hand in pushing things along and I am truly grateful for that.
As for the girl, Charles said she was fine about things and that she did want to stay friends with him.
Below is the letter Charles wrote to apply for prefect position.
Dear Mr Grice,
I would like to be a prefect because I feel like I have the right mind set and personality to do the task. Also it would be perfect for my DofE award (which is the Duke of Edinburgh Award) but the main reason I want to be a prefect is to look after the students in the school that don’t want to fight. Ensuring their safety on the school grounds. The qualities I possess that would be good for the position  include loyal, caring, intelligent, morally right and when I get I friend I intend to keep them and look after them which shows my compassion. Also I am a hard worker and excel at sciences, being in top set for all of my science classes. Also the experiences I have had at my scout group have given some form and definition to my moral compass so that I know right from wrong. I demonstrate these qualities previously mentioned every day and at the time of writing this my friend Christian was getting teary eyed and so I decided to help him out even though my other friends were the ones getting annoyed by his antics. Even outside of school. I always team up with the people I know to make sure if their safe even though they may not do the same for me. What I can bring to your school as a prefect is a person with a big brother like attitude and not letting the younger students get hurt. But at the same time not using violence and instead some kind of diplomacy because words speak louder than actions.
Yours sincerely
Charles cornfield.
He meant actions speak louder than words!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter Two - Infants/Junior School

Chapter Two INFANTS/JUNIOR SCHOOL  I was on tenterhooks while waiting for a decision from the local authorities as to whether Charles would be able to have a place at The Pines, school. The news came on the last day of term and to hear he had been accepted into a special school was such a relief. I’d been to visit the school and felt it would be the best thing for Charles. I didn’t even have to get him there myself; it was arranged he would be picked up and dropped off by mini bus to and from school on a daily basis. What more could I ask! At least now I wouldn’t have to worry about him trying to escape from the car! This first report from The Pines describes Charles well: ‘Charles has significant difficulties with expressive and receptive language, age appropriate learning skills, interpersonal, listening and attention skills. Charles is an impulsive child who finds it difficult to listen to adult instructions and process what is being asked of him. He also has difficulty i

Happy Card

HAPPY CARD Charles made a card for me and said that it was called a happy card. On the front were the words, ‘I love you mommy,’ and on the back there were several empty lines where he said I could write down what was making me sad. Then when I had finished I could give the happy card  back to him and then he’d give me a big hug and all my worries would be gone. J

2017 New beginning.

This book covers my journey as the mother of an autistic child from pre-diagnosis, through infant, junior and senior school, culminating with her son taking his GCSE exams and progressing onto university, with examples and anecdotes. It shares the journey we took from my child not speaking until he was 5 and a half years to a gregarious 18-year-old who enjoys performing on stage, rock climbing, camping and canoeing. His positive attitude, embracing of life and him fulfilling his potential will bring a source of inspiration to those making a similar journey. The book seeks to cover the emotions, the fear and devastation felt from the diagnosis, progressing through the almost overwhelming obstacles, to the joy at each achievement, helping us to become the people we are now.