Skip to main content

Update

Charles has now been at Portsmouth university for two weeks and is enjoying his freedom and his course. I never thought that this day would come but I am so proud of what he's achieved and it proves any thing is possible. I do hope this blog has helped people and given them hope. Chapter nine will be on here soon. :)

Here is just a little something about music to keep you going.

Charles did have music lessons at school and I think music really helped him feel relaxed but he never practised anything at home so I never really got to see what he was capable of. So I decided to take him for private lessons to see how far he had actually come. He began learning the Guitar but changed his mind on a regular basis. He now and still has a fantastic rapport with his tutor,  and plays whatever takes his fancy on the day. At the moment he’s enjoying playing the drums. His tutor begins by playing the piano to a specific song, then Charles will jump in playing the drums to his heart’s content whilst belting out a song of his own off the top of his head. His tutor commented that Charles has a good natural rhythm and has asked him to write his songs down, which he has just started to do. Charles looks forward to his music lessons and finds them enjoyable, inspiring and motivational. It’s a time where he can express himself freely and confidently in song and play.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter Two - Infants/Junior School

Chapter Two INFANTS/JUNIOR SCHOOL  I was on tenterhooks while waiting for a decision from the local authorities as to whether Charles would be able to have a place at The Pines, school. The news came on the last day of term and to hear he had been accepted into a special school was such a relief. I’d been to visit the school and felt it would be the best thing for Charles. I didn’t even have to get him there myself; it was arranged he would be picked up and dropped off by mini bus to and from school on a daily basis. What more could I ask! At least now I wouldn’t have to worry about him trying to escape from the car! This first report from The Pines describes Charles well: ‘Charles has significant difficulties with expressive and receptive language, age appropriate learning skills, interpersonal, listening and attention skills. Charles is an impulsive child who finds it difficult to listen to adult instructions and process what is being asked of him. He also has difficulty i

2017 New beginning.

This book covers my journey as the mother of an autistic child from pre-diagnosis, through infant, junior and senior school, culminating with her son taking his GCSE exams and progressing onto university, with examples and anecdotes. It shares the journey we took from my child not speaking until he was 5 and a half years to a gregarious 18-year-old who enjoys performing on stage, rock climbing, camping and canoeing. His positive attitude, embracing of life and him fulfilling his potential will bring a source of inspiration to those making a similar journey. The book seeks to cover the emotions, the fear and devastation felt from the diagnosis, progressing through the almost overwhelming obstacles, to the joy at each achievement, helping us to become the people we are now. 

Happy Card

HAPPY CARD Charles made a card for me and said that it was called a happy card. On the front were the words, ‘I love you mommy,’ and on the back there were several empty lines where he said I could write down what was making me sad. Then when I had finished I could give the happy card  back to him and then he’d give me a big hug and all my worries would be gone. J